Tuesday 2 December 2014

Oh dear Lord......New Kids On The Block and 1989

I live with a 12 year old Taylor Swift obsessed daughter so '1989' is on constant play and I'm sure that you've the '1989' tag that's going around blogosphere at the moment. So, I was reading an article about how Swifty is the only female artist to have bumped herself off the number 1 spot of the top of the Billboard Hot 100 and something about comparing her songs off her album '1989' to those that were actually released that year.
Then it happened......the article (and I can't think for the life of me which publication it was in) proceeded to state that New Kids On The Block released 'Cover Girl' that very year! I instantly felt old!! 25 year old Swifty was born the year that I was bopping around to NKOTB who themselves were moving around the stage in some synchronised fashion, white socks showing (oh the shame) and with hideous choices in shirts. At the same time on the playground debates were taking place over which Knight brother was hottest (Jordan of course) and I was proclaiming that I was undoubtedly going to marry Joey McIntyre...aah the memories!

Now for a trip down memory lane...



 So let's be honest how many of you remembered the words? I couldn't tell you how many years it is since I listened to any of their tracks but they instantly flooded back, I so wanted to be that girl on stage! Oh and doesn't Danny Wood look like Ross Geller? There we go again.... 'Friends' wasn't even a thing yet and wouldn't be for another four years.
I did rediscover the NKOTB guys last night mind and I would seriously suggest checking them out if you haven't recently - boy have they aged well - and yes you're welcome!
So Taylor Swift, as much as I like you and would rather my 12 year old be listening to you than the last obsession that was Little Mix, girls and guitars obviously rule -  I'm not sure that I can forgive you for reminding me of this aging processes that I have embarked on. Although I guess I do have the time to look forward to when Megan looks back at YouTube clips of One Direction or 5SOS and has the same freak out moment!

On a serious note though, I just read that poor Joey lost his mother yesterday. The last few years she had suffered with Alzheimers and after losing my uncle last month who also had the condition can sympathise at how tough it is to watch a loved one deteriorate. Sending love and prayers their way.
Which bands from your childhood / youth make you cringe? I'm off to listen to the rest of Hangin' Tough now I think!
Amy
xx
* disclaimer - obviously this was part of my very short boy-band phase (apart from Take That, can't see me growing out of them) and before moving on to the indie / grunge scene that of course holds no embarrassment at all!
Linking up with IBOT and Random Wednesday


1 comment:

  1. LOL!!! This post made me feel super old! I was singing along to NKOTB with ya...back in the old days!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I'll get to you as soon as I can! xx